Friday, March 30

Building a Foundation

I went to a wedding recently and some thing that one of the guest's said has stuck with me. I can't say it's something I didn't know about love and relationships already but it was reaffirmed for me. Basically, the guest was talking about the Bride and Groom and how much they have changed each other's lives through support for each other. Before they met they were each in a funk of their own and maybe a little lost. But since being together their friends and family have noticed that they build each other up, and through this they have already started to build a foundation for their life together.

I absolutely believe that to be in a successful relationship with someone there has to be understanding, respect and honesty. You have to have a partner who will support you and be a positive force in your life. Some days ago, I spoke with a friend who told me that when they expressed their dreams to their partner they kind of scoffed at them and pretty much told them they weren't going to make anything of themselves. That was deeply disturbing to me because it breeds an unhealthy relationship. It's definitely not the way I would want to start one.

I'm glad to be with someone who is first and foremost my friend. He believes in me and I believe in him. It's important to have someone that is going to bring you up and not push you down. Someone who belittles you and projects their negative views of the world onto you has problems of their own that they need to overcome before they can be in a healthy relationship. I am by far not an expert on relationships and I know it isn't right to judge one that you aren't in but I've witnessed and comforted friends who were in these types of relationships. People have their reasons for staying but I don't believe anyone should be unhappy at the hands of the person they are choosing to spend their lives with.

Any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment